Monday, February 20, 2012

Museums, Museums

I had the chance to visit a few museums this week, and saw some really beautiful pieces! The first was the Salvador Dalí exhibit at the Tophane-i Amire Cultural Center. It was a traveling collection primarily comprised of sketches and early work, with a few larger and more complex pieces. Below are some of my favorite pieces. I know almost nothing about art, so mostly I liked the colors or images. 


This is called "Gluttony"




This is called "Opposition"




This is "Departure for the Great Journey," It was by far my favorite piece in the whole collection. 




The building was probably the most amazing part of the exhibit. I didn't take too many photos, but give you an idea of the hall. 






It was beautiful! 


We also went to the Istanbul Modern, a modern art museum (duh!). Although modern art isn't entirely my thing, I really enjoyed it. There were no photos allowed at the Istanbul Modern, so I have nothing to show you, but the art was really interesting. I especially enjoyed the photos. There was an exhibit that was meant to be a collection of candids of people all over Turkey. The photos were really moving and beautiful. We were really lucky, as we ended up there as a fluke, on the only day that they were open late, AND on the only day that the museum is free to residents of Turkey (which we are, as of a week ago when we picked up our residency permits)!


And today we went to SALT, a gallery that hosts traveling collections. The gallery is in an old bank, and some of the exhibits are down in the old vaults. It was really neat to be able to explore the old facility. The exhibit was on Ottoman Archaeology, and was quite limited and less than exciting. However, just the building was enough to make the trip worth while. I didn't take any photos because I forgot my camera... I promise I'll do better next time! Istanbul has quite the art and museum scene, and I can't wait to visit more galleries and exhibits!  

1 comment:

  1. I agree, love the Departure piece, but not so sure about the others... Interesting that both the Departure and Opposition have the line running through them. Beautiful building, I wonder what it was built to be?

    ReplyDelete