Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Very TIT Moment...

We're sitting on the bus to town this afternoon, in the middle of an intersection, and all of a sudden the driver opens the door and starts yelling "gel, gel, gel!" (hard g) (essentially, "come on!") Keep in mind, this is not a dolmuş, but a public Istanbul Metrobus. On runs this kid with a giant water jug (one of the 10 gallon ones), full of some milky-colored liquid. He drops it with the driver, bolts back through the traffic. The driver closes the door and drives us on our merry way. Hallie looks at me: "TIT moment."


Whenever something happens that is just very, inexplicably, Turkey, we say "This is Turkey" or "TIT." I've had an unusual amount of TIT moments recently, making me reflect on my time here, which is shortly coming to an end. I am ready for a temporary change of scenery and pace, and so very excited to see family and friends from whom I've been separated for 4 months, but the thought of boarding a plane in 10 days makes me want to chain myself to a lamp pole in Sarıyer. The weathers getting nicer, my Turkish is getting better, and I finally feel a sense of belonging at Koç, in Sarıyer, and in İstanbul. 


To make matters worse, we had our CIEE farewell dinner Saturday night. We all met (probably the first time since the beginning of the semester that we were all in the same room) at a Meyhane in Taksim for a long night of Rakı, mezes, stories, and dancing. It was fabulous, but a terrible reminder that the semester is over, and we have to return soon. Amy took some wonderful photos.


Everyone in the group submitted superlatives, and the lovely Jennifer and Emily compiled them and presented them during dinner. I won "most likely to be bumped into and apologize for it." Amy thinks I am too nice and cooperative, and has been "working on my meanness" all semester. I get mad at her, but it's certainly not the worst superlative to have! This is Terry, and he won "most likely to be doing something American in Turkey." He and Trae were ordering Dominos the first week. :) Some of my other favorites were Hallie's - "most likely to bet you she'll win" - and Amy's - "most likely to win a nobel prize, then lose it in the airport." Hallie is constantly betting on everything, and usually winning (she'll tell you she never loses, but nobody's perfect... We'll get her one day) and Amy is, although crazy intelligent, slightly lacking in organizational skills and actually lost a shoe in the airport. 


This is Me, Hallie, Akshata and Amy, fondly referred to as HAAM. We've traveled this country and others together, and I could not be more thankful that we found each other. I'll miss these girls next semester, but it's alright because we're already planning a fall reunion in D.C. and Amy WILL be coming to Maine this summer. :) 




Goofy photo! The false mustache phenomenon of 2012 started on the group trip to Ankara, when Jennifer and Emily found some false mustaches at a rest-stop somewhere in Nowhereland, Turkey. They wore them almost the whole bus trip, then made an appearance the last night as we disembarked from the airplane... Lots of stares from confused Turks, but we thought it was hilarious. Anyway, someone brought a few to dinner, and they were passed all around the table. 


After dinner we went out dancing for a while, and just enjoyed the city we've come to love. A few tear-enducing speeches were made, and cards were handed to Kathryn, Koray, and Pınar, the wonderful CIEE staff who made our whole semester possible. 


Once I'm done with finals, I'll do some more reflecting on the experience, but for now I can't really bear to think about it! Sydney's coming on Saturday, and I'll effectively be moving off campus to stay with her in Taksim, then we head home together on Thursday, May 31st. Can't wait to show her my city, but I know with her comes the close of an amazing and enlightening semester, and it just doesn't seem possible. I want to go home, I just desperately don't want to leave. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but it's what I'm feeling. For those of you in the States, I can't wait to see you, and for those of you I've met, you've been amazing, and I can't wait to see you again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment